Your Yugioh Team Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Yugioh Team Forums

The only team that strives to be what you expect from a team.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Staples for Main, Side, and Extra

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Flam3ezZ

Flam3ezZ

DN Username : Down In Flames
Humor : What is this? I don't even -

Staples for Main, Side, and Extra  Empty
PostSubject: Staples for Main, Side, and Extra    Staples for Main, Side, and Extra  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 11:34 pm

Most of you people here are good duelists and understand the concept of staples and also what they are. But there are always some people who usually get stuck when deck building, due to them not knowing the essential staples of a deck. So, I'm here to help those of you who are stuck. Why am I doing this? Cuz of the above mentioned reason, I'm bored, and this site needs some more... stuff.

So let's start!

Main deck staples:

1. Dark Hole

This card is ESSENTIAL in almost every deck. It can wipe out your enemy's field regardless of how many monsters they have. But use it wisely, as it also destroys your own field. What also makes this card so great is that it doesn't target. So for those monsters who can't be targeted, such as Obelisk, this card can easily clear the field from it. It's a pretty simple and standard spell.

2. Heavy Storm

With the unbanning of Heavy Storm, there has been a noticeable decrease in backrow. There's still lots of it though, don't take me wrong. Being able to wipe out ALL Spells/Traps on the field? That's ridiculous. But with Heavy Storm out, what do you have to worry? Except Starlight Road, of course. Then you can panic. But aside from that this card is essential. Why? Simple. It clears your opponent's backrow and allows you to make that one final push for game without fear of being hindered by your opponent's scary pieces of paper. Of course, this card is a prime target for Starlight Road and Solemn Judgment, so make sure you approach backrow carefully. (Editor's Note: Skilled players can also use Heavy Storm to bait out Starlight Road and Solemn Judgment. Especially in the case of Judgment, halving your opponent's LP could prove to be crucial if you can make it Game on the same turn. However, when you bait out Judgment, have a few MST on hand, so that you can clear your opponent's backrow the same way you would with Heavy.)

3. Monster Reborn

I can't express how useful this card is. Being able to summon a monster from your Graveyard AND your opponent's Graveyard? That's just clutch. Opponent pulls out BLS -> You use Torrential Tribute -> Opponent ends turn -> You whip out the Reborn, targeting BLS -> GG. Seriously, this card is broken. And it's not banned anymore. Thus, USE IT.

4. Book of Moon

People often argue whether or not this card is a staple and should be placed in decks but I find this card to be SO useful. It stops a lot of plays from happening. Your opponent summons Tour Guide from the Underworld and uses her effect to pull something else. What do you do? You flip the Book of Moon on TGU, that's what. Your opponent now has a Level 3 monster face-down and another probably-weak monster on their field instead of a scary Number 30: Acid Golem of Destruction or Wind-Up Zenmaines. This doesn't just apply to TGU. Judgment Dragon? Maybe next time, buddy. Dark Armed Dragon? 1000 def, seems legit. Grapha? Stay down. And it gets better, too! If you have a face-up Flip Effect monster, BoM it. Flip it up again, re-use its effect, and win that Duel.

5. 2-3 Mystical Space Typhoon

This card is pretty darn good. It gets rid of backrow without fear of Starlight Road. Who would Solemn Judgment a MST? Maybe if they're desperate to save a Spell/Trap, but at least you'd know that it's something important after they did that, and you should avoid it. Anyway, with this card in your deck, no longer will you fear those menacing face-downs when you can easily pick 'em off at your own ease. That's pretty convenient, I'd say.

6. Solemn Trio (Judgment, double Warning

These guys pack a hard punch, but at a hefty cost: your own LP. This cost is the main reason people often opt not to run all 3, or sometimes even none at all. But their cost is worth it. Opponent top decks JD. Solemn Judgment/Warning it. By paying some LP, you've just saved yourself from even more damage. Not only that, but Warning can also negate monsters who are summoned by effects, which is something even Solemn Judgment can't even brag about. With these 3 guys in your deck, you'll be able to negate almost anything your opponent can throw at you. (Editor's Note: Did you know that Solemn Warning can stop Macro Cosmos?)

These are the staples for the main. Onto the Side Deck!

1. Prohibition

Do you hate getting Grapha'd all the time? What about JD? And those oh-so-pesky Evilswarm Ophions. Well, with this card in your deck, you can easily relax knowing as long as it's on the field, cards with that name cannot have their effects activated. However, this only applies as long as its on the field, so make sure that you have some protection. Wink

2. Penguin Soldier / Snowman Eater

These 2 guys are crafty little fellows. One returns 2 cards to the hand, while the other pops a face-up monster. Note, that they can also do your own cards. So if you have an empty Call of the Haunted or Fiendish Chain, you can return 'em to your hand for more protection (Penguin). Or, if you have a Lava Golem or Acid Golem with no Xyz material, just flip over that snowman and save yourself some LP.

3. Light-Imprisoning Mirror and Shadow-Imprisoning Mirror

These two guys are a must in Side Decks. They negate the effects of LIGHT/DARK monsters in the field and Graveyard, depending on which one you use. Pretty simple. It shuts down Dark Worlds, Lightsworns, Infernities, Agents, Chaos Dragons, etc.

4. Gozen Match

Trouble with Wind-Ups Six Sams? Use this card and you're good. This card only allows 1 Attribute to be on each player's field. Not too complicated. Only run this in decks that are central to 1 Attribute, like Dark Worlds.

5. Rivalry of Warlords

Same as Gozen except for Type rather than Attribute, e.g Dragons. It Hits Wind-Ups pretty hard.

Lastly, on to the Extra Deck (everyone's favorite)!

Synchros:

Level 5:

Ally of Justice Catastor

This card is hands down one of the best Level 5 synchros out there. With it's effect that destroys any non-DARK monster before damage calculation, you no longer have to worry about Marshmallon or other walls that are non-DARK. However, with its 2200 ATK, it can easily be taken down by a DARK monster with a higher ATK stat. However, in decks that run little or no DARK monsters (e.g. Lightsworns), this will be a looming threat as the turns tick by while they try to get rid of it. Note: this card WILL NOT work on Zenmaines if it has more than 1 overlay unit. However, you will be able to detach 2 Xyz Materials: one from its effect, and another from normal damage calculation and battle procedures. Then, follow it up with another attacker with 2200+ ATK, and you've gotten rid of Zenmaines.

Level 6:

Gaia Knight, The Force of Earth / Iron Chain Dragon
These cards aren't exactly staples, but they're the 2 best STANDARD lvl 6 synchros that can be placed in almost any deck. Gaia is the strongest lv 6 synchro beater in terms of ATK, but it's a normal synchro with no effects at all. Iron Chain Dragon comes close behind with 2500 ATK and a milling effect every time it inflicts Battle Damage to your opponent. The choice is yours.

Level 7:

Black Rose Dragon
This card can spell Game for the player who uses it wisely. With the ability to nuke all cards on the field, this will leave the player who played it at an advantage, if he played smart. If he didn't... well...GG for you. But if used correctly, it will place your opponent in a very tight spot, especially if they have less than 2 cards in their hand. Also, a 2400 ATK beater isn't so bad. (Editor's Note; Use Black Rose Dragon when your opponent has little to no cards in their hand, so then they're down to topdecking.)

Level 8:

Stardust Dragon

2500 ATK. That used to be the one ATK power that people feared. Also, with a free destruction card negation every turn? This card is just too good not to run. But be wary, now with new cards coming out, 2500 ATK is no longer as large as a hurdle it used to be, so watch out for those 2600+ beaters. Note: this card must be successfully Synchro Summoned in order to use its effect multiple times.

Scrap Dragon

A 2800 ATK beater with the ability to pop 1 card on your opponent's field along with 1 of your own. It also has another effect, but it's usually only important in Scrap decks. Apart from that, simple effect, and decent ATK power; this card can set up the missing pieces for game.

Xyz Monsters

Rank 3:

Wind-Up Zenmaines

This card is loved and hated by everybody. Loved by those who use it, and hated by those who see it on the field. A 2100 wall with an effect to destroy a card on the field is just too perfect to pass over. You can even use its effect to your advantage. Put it in Attack mode, crash into your opponent's weakest monster that has 1500+ ATK, and pop a troublesome card during your End Phase. Or if you don't like that, you can just sit on its 2100 DEF and watch as your opponent ends turn after turn trying to find an out to overcome this obstacle.

Number 17: Leviathan Dragon

2500 ATK beater. Can be turned into a 3000 ATK beater to get rid of walls such as Grapha, Hyperion, BLS, etc. Nothing complicated.

Leviair, the Sea Dragon

This card is AMAZING. Even if you don't run any card that banish, still use this guy in your extra. Just because you don't run any form of banishing doesn't mean your opponent doesn't. Your opponent uses Gates to banish Snoww from their Graveyard and start his loop? Okay, on your next turn, use Leviair's effect to summon tat Snoww from his banished zone and Xyz into a nice Rank 4 with another Level 4 monster on your field. Got Bottomless'd? No problem. Use Leviair to get that monster back. Only downside is its flimsy 1800 atk. Sad

Rank 4:

Number 39: Utopia

Again, 2500 ATK used to be the attack stat to beat. Now, it's... meh. Anyway, Utopia can detach 1 Xyz Material to negate 1 attack from a monster's attack. Sound useful? Of course it does, that's because it is. The only downside is, when this card runs out of Xyz Materials, it can easily be destroyed by any monster: even an Effect Veiler. That monster will also be able to attack again, but I think that's just OCG rulings. Anyway, it's good card. Run it. (Editor's Note: Use C39: Utopia Ray to protect Utopia from destruction after you've used up all of its Xyz Materials.)

Maestroke, the Symphony Djinn

Maestroke is the Zenmaines for Rank 4 Xyz monsters, with a protection effect that will shield him from the destruction effects such as Dark Hole or Smashing Ground that would otherwise eliminate Utopia (along with any other Djinn Xyzs you happen to be running). While he lacks the dominating field presense of Zenmaines, since it lacks any form of punishment for your opponent attempting to destroy him, it makes up for it with the flexibility of its Book of Moon-esque effect, letting Maestroke run over cards such as Dark Armed Dragon or allowing bigger beaters on the field to do likewise. He also resets any counters on your opponent's monsters or flip a card like Zenmaines face-down before hitting it with Raigeki Break, preventing it from using its protection effects - its uses are limited only by your imagination. While Maestroke lacks the game-changing capacity of the other staple cards, he's a solid Xyz Monster that can find a place in the majority of decks.

Photon Papilloperative

This card is a must along with Maestroke, as they both have quite similar effects. Maestroke flips a troublesome boss monster facedown, while our good friend Photon Papilloperative here switches troublesome stall cards to face-up attack. So if your opponent is blissfully sitting on a Marshmallon, punish him by Xyz summoning this card, detaching one Xyz Material, using its effect, and attack his now 0 ATK indestructible marshmallon. Additionally, this card is beneficial to Flip Effect monsters, or pseudo- Flip Effect monsters, as its effect will trigger them as well. This is also useful to cards who gain effects from switching from Attack Mode to Defense Mode, such as Wind-Up Rat.

Gagaga Cowboy

This is a highly versatile card that has 2 quite-extraordinary effects depending on its battle position. Its Attack Position effect will subtract 500 ATK from an opponent's monster, while giving your normally 1500 atk cowboy a 1000 atk boost, thus making it able to get over tough cards like BLS, Grapha, Master Hyperion, etc. That's not all, if your opponent has a little LP left, Xyz summon this guy in Defense Mode and burn 800 LP at a time from your opponent once per turn. I've personally used this effect to win multiple games where I normally could not have won. Also, 2400 DEF isn't so bad to sit on; it can take a few hits for ya.

Number 50: Blackship of Corn

This unusual side deck Xyz monster is relatively new to many people. However, its effect will certainly change this. its effect allows for you to SEND a monster from your opponent's field to the grave and inflict 1000 damage to your opponent as long as it's under 2100 ATK. However, this comes at the price of not being able to attack this turn, but its effect is well worth it. Since its effect sends to the grave as opposed to destroying, it is able to effectively get over walls, with some prime examples being Zenmaines, Marshmallon, etc. Its only pity is its sub-par 2100 ATK, which means it won't be lasting long as your opponent will attempt to get rid of it quickly.

So that's all I can think of at the moment. I'm almost definitely sure that I made lots of mistakes somewhere. If you spot them, correct me please, and I'll be happy to fix them. If you have anything to add, feel free to tell me and I'll add it, if it's appropriate.

Thanks for reading this and Happy Dueling~!

Last edited by Flam3ezZ on Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/ZZZBladeRZZZ
The Saber Man
Admin
The Saber Man

DN Username : MorphGuy1000

PostSubject: Re: Staples for Main, Side, and Extra    Staples for Main, Side, and Extra  I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 7:16 pm

Edited for you, buddy. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://youryugiohteam.canadian-forum.com
Flam3ezZ

Flam3ezZ

DN Username : Down In Flames
Humor : What is this? I don't even -

PostSubject: Re: Staples for Main, Side, and Extra    Staples for Main, Side, and Extra  I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2013 7:22 pm

Thanks lulz.

Bump for any extra feedback or comments.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/ZZZBladeRZZZ
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Staples for Main, Side, and Extra    Staples for Main, Side, and Extra  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Staples for Main, Side, and Extra
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Your Yugioh Team Forums :: Strategy Station :: Articles-
Jump to: